top of page


Medical Technologist & Technician Certification & Licensing

Questions & Answers

Medical Technologists and Technicians licensing requirements vary by state as well as specialty. Some states require licensing, while others do not. Details may be obtained through local state board or department of health. 

However, some employers in states that do not possess certification requirements may prefer to hire those with certification. This can be general medical technologist certification/medical technician certification, or it can be certification in a specific specialty like Phlebotomy. 

In order to obtain certification, technologists and technicians will generally be required to complete an accredited program, pass a certification exam, and take continuing education courses to maintain certified status.

What states require MT’s and MLT’s certified or licensed?

There are 12 states that require MTs and MLTs to pass a certifying or licensure examination.
(California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, Tennessee and West Virginia. The territory of Puerto Rico also requires licensing.)
Most states (38) do not license MTs and MLTs. In these states, the federal CLIA rules apply. Under CLIA, you must have at least an associate degree (or the equivalent) with a major in a laboratory science to perform high complexity testing. In these states, recognition of your certification is determined by the laboratory.

What kind of visa should I apply for?

The H1B visa program is the primary method for employers to recruit & hire International professionals and International students to work in the USA. The H1B visa enables US employers to hire foreign professionals for a specified period of time. The H1B program allows workers in specialty occupations to work in the US for up to a total of six (6) years.
The number of H1B visas issued each year is subject to a cap that is determined by US Congress. The current H1B cap is set at 65,000 plus an additional 20,000 for International students that graduate with an MBA or higher from a US University. 
H1B cap does NOT include or affectcurrent H1B holders transferring their visa to a new employer / sponsor OR new' applications for an H1B with: non profit organizations, Government Research organizations, and institution of higher education.
H1B Transfers and cap-exempt positions are Unlimited and available all year round for applications.
The EB2 Visa, or Employment-Based “Exceptional” Ability or Advanced Degree Permanent Residence/Green Card (Second Preference), is for members of professions holding advanced degree or equivalent, or “exceptional ability” (expertise significantly above that ordinarily encountered) in sciences, medicine, arts, business, or athletics.
The EB3 Visa, or Skilled, Professional, or Other Worker Permanent Residence/Green Card (Third Preference), is an employment-based petition for those seeking positions requiring 2 years training or experience, professionals whose job requires a baccalaureate degree or equivalent, or “other” unskilled workers (defined as jobs requiring less than 2 years to be proficient).
The EB-2 is a desirable permanent / green card visa because approval takes much less time than EB-3. However, it is scrutinized more closely. That’s why it is even more critical you select an experienced immigration attorney.

How can we get certified or licensed?

In 12 states that require certification or license, please refer to the chart “Approved Certifying Organization Examinations Personnel Licensure and Certification”, and click the link for more information.

PAMET-USA Northern California and Southern California Chapters offer review classes.
PAMET Northern California Chapter:
PAMET Southern California Chapter:

Where can we get more information?

California approved CLS Training Programs & Affiliates: 

Check out these other links:
West Virginia Licensure Requirement
State of Florida Licensure Requirement

bottom of page